Saturday, January 06, 2007

Hazar for the Hottest 100

I listen to a lot of radio. Throughout my uni years I spent about 4 hours each day on public transport, and, always preferring to have music or voice or something to listen to, I spent most of that time listening to the radio. And my radio station of choice at the time was triple j, the "youth station" in the Australian ABC stables.

As I have mentioned in the past, I have eclectic tastes in music. So triple j was just right for me - lots of variety, always something new, and rarely anything outrageously commerically poppy. I thought most of the presenters could do with a good course in sensible radio journalism, but generally, I was happy to listen to them.

And I loved the JJJ Hottest 100 - the more or less annual countdown of 100 top songs from the previous year, as voted by triple j listeners. Many a Hottest 100 CD has become the soundtrack to my parties, and I quite often rated the number 1 song as a musical highlight from the year. It's a little commercial and not for everyone, and quite often I haven't heard of half the songs which make it into the 100, but I still like it.

Anyhoo, follow the link above to check out the songs in this year's list and have a vote. For those who wish to know, this year I voted for:
  • Gotye - Thanks for your time
  • Gotye - Learnalilgivnanlovin
  • Anberlin - Never Take Friendship Personal
  • Ben Harper - Better Way
  • Karnivool - Roquefort
  • Matisyahu - King Without A Crown
  • Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
  • OK GO - Here It Goes Again
  • Regina Spektor - Fidelity
  • Regina Spektor - Samson
Not enough Australian bands in my list for my liking, but it couldn't be helped. Since I don't listen to triple j each day anymore, I can't predict the number 1 song accurately, but I'll take a stab at Wolfmother to get up there. People like them for some reason.

Hazar for triple j and hazar for the Hottest 100!

.e
[Category: random_stuff]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously live under a rock.
I didn't know they'd caught Saddam Hussein until he was tried and executed, I don't hear about these terrible rapes and murders (except from people at work or the radio at work, which told me that two boys killed another boy by head-butting him), and I don't know anything about current music.
I don't know the ones you voted for, I only know about three artist on the list of songs to vote for. I put this down to my iPod, I'd rather listen to albums I already have than sit through the idiots yammering on the radio just to hear some new tunes.

6/1/07 2:26 pm  
Blogger Beatle said...

I voted for a couple of the same songs as you! Here's my list...

Regina Spektor - Fidelity
Bloc Party - The Prayer
Kimya Dawson - I Like Giants
Gnarls Barkley - Gone Daddy Gone
The Grates - Science Is Golden
Augie March - One Crowded Hour
Bob Evans - Don't You Think It's Time
Jose Gonzalez - Hand On Your Heart
OK GO - Here It Goes Again
Old Man River - La

I managed to vote for a few more Aussies than you.

9/1/07 3:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home