Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hazoo for Blogger Search

Well,

This category thing is frustrating the pants off me. Not literally - I still have pants on - but figuratively I have no pants.

It appears that Blogger Search only searches the atom RSS feed of your post. That is fine, however, if you edit a post, it doesn't seem to republish the atom feed for that post. So, my last post for example, I accidentally noted the category as "my_cd_catalog" and then published. It understandably didn't come up in my category search for my_cd_catalogue, so I edited the post and republished. But it still doesn't come up in the search because Blogger thinks the original post is the only one. Silly.

I don't know if this is a serious issue, it just frustrated me and causes me to issue a hazoo to Blogger Search.

...e
[Categories: random_stuff, my_cd_catalogue] Let's hope this works this time.

7 Comments:

Blogger Adam Gregory said...

While I'm glad you do indeed have your pants on, it seems like its not working

30/8/06 11:33 am  
Blogger Edwin said...

No, it's not. I'm close to literally taking off my pants too, if it would help.

I just get a script error now. If I copy the URL from the error into the browser it works fine - gives a nice, correct RSS list. But there seems to be a step between that and ending up on the return page which seems to break down, and I don't know why.

Who would have thought a blogger hack would be this difficult.

e.

30/8/06 12:15 pm  
Blogger Edwin said...

Hold the phone, keep your belt on, and do up the fly - it works!

I finally found that I need to modify the string sent off to feed2js (supplied by WeHost4U) so that it has the correct options, tags in the right place, and is correctly referencing the blogger search format. That's all geek speek for - it's working now!

Thanks to YLCF and PDT for the original idea and all the hard work.

e.

30/8/06 1:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! I was surprised when I read that it didn't republish feeds because I swear, when I was using Bloglines I was getting 15 of Hezza's posts throughout a time period becuase she kept editing them and editing Gud out of them and sometimes I couldn't even spot thechanges. It ws so annoying!

30/8/06 7:19 pm  
Blogger Edwin said...

I dunno - it's really just a guess based on a bit of testing. I thought at first that Blogger Search only searched the first 70 or words of a post, but further testing showed that it just skipped the updated bits of posts, hence my theory.

Can't find anything help file that says that, though. Might have changed from the days that Hezza was editing her posts, or it might be that Bloglines uses the atom feed, but Blogger Search uses some other RSS feed (I believe there are different types of feeds).

Anyhoo, the categories is working now, so I'm not so worried.

30/8/06 9:45 pm  
Blogger Adam Gregory said...

"I wonder if footers are necessary..."

snigger

31/8/06 10:26 am  
Blogger Edwin said...

I prefer a smirk or a knowing smile - a snigger just sounds too arrogant :)

31/8/06 11:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home