Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hazar for Winter Training

Checkout this story on SydneyAnglicans.net - it talks about St Andy's, my Christian family in Wahroonga, and the "Winter Training" program we've been doing over the past 6 weeks. It's pretty cool to see a story about something I was involved in - it always is (check your local microfiche for the local newspaper story about Clean up Australia Day 1988 in which I featured prominently) - but I can't help thinking that these 6 weeks of seminars is not really that spectacular compared to the remaining 40 or so weeks of the year spent in regular Bible study groups. It was cool to come together to learn about something nice and theological like the doctrine of the Trinity, but why is that more newsworthy than the hundreds of bible study groups meeting faithfully every week of the year to learn about Biblical theology?

Argh - I realise now the silliness of my argument - meeting in a big church group is similar in some aspects to small groups, and different in others. They are both of benefit, in differing ways, and it is cool that St Andys, and other churches, get involved in both.

Which brings me back to my original idea - hazar for Winter Training, and bring on more in the future!

.e.t.

random_stuff

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh, we need to repeat it so that I can do the 4-4 one!

24/8/06 6:20 pm  
Blogger Edwin said...

True, or maybe do things in a slightly different style. Central Coast Evangelical Church seem to have regular seminars, which are roughly 2 hour long talks with questions on things like Calvinism and other doctrines. I'd love to have some of that in January - like a few years ago when people like Paul Barnett or Barry Newman did a talk series in January.

I did like your hubby's question at the very end of 4 key centuries, 4 key doctrines - "If you had to choose a 5th Century, what would it be?" I giggled.

.e

24/8/06 8:03 pm  
Blogger Adam Gregory said...

Ha!

And what was Philip's answer?

29/8/06 2:17 pm  
Blogger Edwin said...

Hey Domes,

After a brief bit of laughter, Philip explained that he almost made the course "5 key centuries" because he wanted to talk about the Enlightenment. I don't know much about the Enlightenment at all, really, so I look forward to it next time.

.e

29/8/06 7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I sort of wish I did the 4 one. Not that the Women's one wasn't great but I really like all that knowledgey stuff and I would have liked to see Dave's reaction to it. He doesn't talk much about the things he's pondering, ometimes I make him but it's usually three word answers.

30/8/06 7:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home