Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hazar for ClassicFM

I'm one of those lucky people who can have a spot of music on at my desk. It's one of the things that keeps the day moving along. I've been in workplaces where they tell you to turn it off or wear headphones or whatever, which really annoys me. I mean - if you can't listen to music while you're working, what can you do? Listen to the gentle tapping of keyboards all day? Hum?

Anyhoo, my office allows music so I'm happy. Now, for about 6 months I really tested the boundaries with a whole variety of music styles - acoustic, hard rock, Christian rock, electronic, Disney, classical and a whole bunch of stuff in between, and eventually I found that when I had classical music playing, no one asked me to turn it off. Fine with me.

So now I whack on a bit of ClassicFM in the morning, listen all through the day, and quite enjoy it. More often than not I recognise the piece playing, or can make an educated guess as to the composer (ahh, guess the composer - what a game!), and every hour I get some ABC news. Fantastic.

And I find that the music is both calming and keeps the day moving along. It seems like when everything is silent an hour can last for hours, but if you've got music playing, it can move by at just the right pace. That's all very subjective and fluffy, but I think we've all experienced what I mean.

And a bit of music gives something to talk about. I especially like it when one of my co-workers comes along and says that "this classical music is making me feel angry." Bizarre, and something to chat about. So hazar for classical music and the good people at ClassicFM. Makes a boring day just a little more enjoyable.

.e.

[Category: random_stuff]

6 Comments:

Blogger Adam Gregory said...

Hazar indeed.

Hazoo to my workplace which has stopped us all from streaming audio. No ABC for me :(

My current dream is to have an AM/FM radio that connects to a USB port so I can listen to the radio through my computer. Does such a product exist? If not, let's invent it.

31/8/06 5:22 pm  
Blogger Edwin said...

Once again, Adam, fate sniggers while others invent the fantastic ideas you come up. Check out the Griffin Radioshark. A little pricey in Australia (~$120) but it looks very cool and just want you want.

When's your birthday?

.e

31/8/06 9:27 pm  
Blogger Adam Gregory said...

Damn.

*waves fist menacingly at fate*

1/9/06 10:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe "an hour can last for hours"

Sometimes the radio makes me angry, not always classical music, always if we're on a talking station, you know the ones that read out excerpts from books and stuff. Argh! I listen to my iPod at work a lot, it's good because I'm not always at my desk.

Ooh, I was so annoyed on the train some boys were watching something on their computer without headphones and a girl was talking really loadly on her mobile phone, for two phone calls! I could hear these people clearly while my headphones were over my ears!

1/9/06 11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the joys of working from home...

I can listen to whatever I want, whenever I want, and at whatever volume I want, with no one to complain...

1/9/06 11:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hazar for Guess the Composer.

7/10/06 5:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home