Friday, February 16, 2007

Hazar for expensive grace

I heard a talk yesterday from Peter Jensen about "reformed" theology. Quite interesting and well-spoken, however a few things went over my head, so I trotted on down with few mates after the talk to ask some questions. Also very interesting, and led to me hearing an explanation of God's grace I have not heard elsewhere.

Glenn Davies was talking about the joy of being saved by God, and he used this illustration: imagine a prison full of murderers (bad ones). They all deserve to be jailed for life, and therefore the punishment they are receiving is quite correct, right? Imagine now that the judge now comes in and pardons one of the murderers and releases him. That's 100% grace - the murderer did nothing to deserve the pardon - in fact, he deserves the opposite. And what of the others - can they complain? No - they are still in the same position as before, getting what they rightly deserve. This is a good way of viewing God's grace to us in Jesus.

I don't know why, but this spoke to me. For many years I have acknowledged the goodness of God and praised the wonder of his grace, but my personal, hidden, and private actions have often revealed that I view this grace all too cheaply. If I disobey God it causes me little grief, for I know that I will be forgiven. When I remember God's grace it causes me little joy, for I know it shall always be available for me. How shallow this understanding is.

I know that expensive grace is not the exact opposite of cheap grace, but it's a phrase which popped into my head and made sense. So hazoo for me and my cheap attitude, and hazar for God and His expensive grace.

.e

P.S. if you want to hear the next talk by Peter Jensen on "evangelicalism", come along to Abbotsleigh at 8pm on Wed 21/2. I recommend it.
[Category: random_stuff]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home